St Aloysius has a very active social justice program with a focus on awareness and action. We aim to instil in students a strong sense of social justice through the service of others. Students and families are encouraged to support a variety of initiatives including the Lenten CARITAS Appeal, St Vincent De Paul Appeals (Winter and Christmas) Catholic Mission and a wide range of community fundraisers.
Students in Years 4 to 6 may join St Aloysius Mini Vinnies Group who meet weekly to plan a variety of activities including community service. The group meet during lunchtime once per week. Mini Vinnies comes under the St Vincent de Paul Society which is a lay Catholic organisation that aspires to live the Gospel message by serving Christ in the poor with love, respect, justice, hope, and joy by working to shape a more just and compassionate society. As a member of Mini Vinnies, the children promise to make a difference by:
- Caring for, respecting and loving themselves
- Strengthening their friendship with Jesus by praying each day and talking to others about Jesus
- Caring for others in our school, community, by being a friend to those who are alone, in need or in trouble
- Contributing to the happiness of my family through help, respect, consideration, joy and kindness
- Caring for, appreciating and enjoying God’s creation - the environment
- Treating others the way I would like to be treated.
Selected students also visit Benhome Nursing Home each term.